Commercial auto insurance is a type of insurance policy that helps cover vehicles used for business purposes such as cars, trucks and vans. Commercial auto insurance covers vehicle damage and driver injuries.

Trucking is different than driving around the city in a work van. Drivers often haul a large amount of merchandise or materials, across state lines, for long hours. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) — the governing body over trucking — requires certain insurance minimums needed by owners before their trucks can even hit the road.

(702) 541-0882 Call or Text for An Business Auto Insurance Quote Today!

Commercial auto is quite different than Commercial Trucking. Primary liability truck insurance and general liability truck insurance are the basic requirements needed to drive and follow the rules set by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). 

According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), commercial trucking companies must obtain an interstate operating authority number if they meet certain criteria. The interstate operating authority number, also known as an MC number, is in addition to the requirement of obtaining a Department of Transportation (DOT) number. To learn more go to Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (

The FMCSA monitors and ensures compliance with regulations governing both safety (all carriers) and commerce (for-hire carriers). Companies may find they are subject to both registration requirements (USDOT Number and MC Number) or either one separately. To determine if you need to apply for a US DOT number, click here.

Nearly every company with a commercial motor vehicle (powered units of more than 10,001 lbs Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) or combined powered units and trailers of more than 10,001 lbs Gross Combined Weight (GCW)) that crosses state lines must have the MCS-90 Endorsement added to its commercial vehicle insurance policy.

Commercial auto coverage is often needed by occupations such as:

  • Electricians, plumbers, and HVAC professionals
  • Carpenters, painters, and other contractors
  • Landscapers and plow services
  • Caterers and food vendors
  • Other business types, like real estate and sales

In any profession, here are some ways to get your commercial auto or trucking policy premium lower:

  • Hire drivers with flawless driving records. Verify at
  • Always keep your payments current. Most carriers add late fees to late payments.
  • Think safe driving first – a speeding ticket can be expensive for several years
  • Implement and require safe driving classes for yourself and employees
  • Once you have had you CDL for a certain period of time, you may be able to get a discount

Protecting your trucking business or yourself as a for-hire trucker means insuring yourself properly. Whether you need primary truck insurance or need to add general liability, insurance doesn’t have to be an extraordinary expenditure — and adding it to your business costs could help you survive the financial burden of an accident or disaster.

(702) 541-0882 Call or Text for An Business Auto Insurance Quote Today!

Copyright © 2021 All Risk Insurance Solutions Inc – All Rights Reserved.